Overview and Documents

Marc and Julia’s brain dump on applying for a “Residence Permit for Other Purposes”

  • Application Form
    • Select the appropriate form from official website http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?lang=en
    • The “Residence Permit for Other Purposes”  form is available from the site, but here is the version that was available at the end of 2016. 
      • and FYI... “Type of Public Space” is the “utca” “ut” “ter” etc part of your address, so if you live on Vaci Utca, the “Name of Public Space” = Vaci, the “Type of Public Space” = Utca
  • One passport size photo
    • the “passport photos” from a photo booth are acceptable
  • Duty Stamps (this is how you pay the fee for the application)
    •  18.000 HUF for first time application;  10.000 HUF for Residence Permit extension
    • in Hungarian: illetekbelyeg 
    • available at most post offices
  • Detailed Statement of Purpose of Stay in Hungary
    • Typed and signed, be clear in first paragraph about why you want to be in hungary (retirement, private study, etc). And when they say “detailed” they mean detailed. Don’t write a one sentence paragraph. Talk about how much you like Hungary and what you plan to do here.  If you are retiring here, use the word “retired” a lot...
    • here is an example
  • Recent bank statement (in English or Hungarian)  indicating an account balance, sufficient to cover living expenses
    • some sites say to bring the last 6 months bank statements, but we just had the most recent. However, at least 3 months is recommended.
  • Proof of income (If applicable, if you plan to live on your savings then not applicable)
    •  ie. pension statement, investment disbursal, etc.
  • “Accommodation Reporting Form for Third Country Nationals” signed by your landlord. 
    • Note: Finding an “official” version of this form is a nightmare, you can use a copy of the form and fill it out. The “official” version of the form is heavy stock paper and is 17cm by 25cm.  The immigration official who handles your case will accept the regular paper version for your file and then have you fill out one section of the official heavy stock paper version. They will stamp and date it and this will be your proof of where you live (this is your "address card" which you will need to carry with you at all times). 
      • Here is a copy of the “Accommodation Reporting Form” in Hungarian. Print this out,  fill in the boxes and have your landlord sign it.
      • Here is a not so great scan of the “Accommodation Reporting Form” in English. It doesn’t print with the boxes lined up correctly back to front. Use it as a reference for filling out the Hungarian version.
      • Note: Box #17 is your Passport number, Box #19 is your Residence Permit Number (Box #19 is only applicable if you are applying for an extension and already have a Residence Permit Card)
      • Make sure your landlord has signed the copy you turn in to the Immigraion office. 
  • Photocopy of former accommodation form (the small white address card you already have if you are applying for an extension. If this is your initial residence permit application you don’t have one yet.)
  • Rental contract in Hungarian or English 
    • one original and one copy
    • This only applies if you are renting, if you own your apartment you should just need the “Certificate of Property Ownership” (next item below) which will list you as the owner.
    • Note on the Rental Contract…your residence permit will be issued with an expiration date that matches the expiration date on the rental contract. Which means your residence pernit will only be issued for the length of your lease, so if you have a one year lease and ask for a two year residence permit, you will likely get a one year residence permit that expires on the day your lease expires. 
      • There is a type of rental contract called a Rolling or open-ended contract. It usually applies when a tenant has completed an agreed fixed term (usually 6, 12, or 24 months) contract but wants to stay for an unspecified time longer. The Tenant and Landlord agree that each will give X (usually 30 or 60) day's notice to the other if either of them wants to terminate the contract. If you have an open-ended contract you can apply for any period up to 5 years (the immigration office may or may not grant the full amount of time you request, but you can request it.)
  • Original “certificate of property ownership” issued within the last 30 days
    • in Hungarian: tulajdoni lap. 
    • This document provides proof of who owns the apartment you live in. If you own your apartment, it proves your ownership; if you are renting, it proves the person you are renting from (the owner on the lease) has the right to rent the apartment to you. 
    • Some sites say that this document is not required if you are doing a Residence Permit extension and there is no change of address, but we found the immigration office wants it even if you haven’t moved.
    • Caveat on this next piece because we have never actually obtained our own Land Registry Form, our Rental Agency obtained it for us, but here is the information we have on the process.
      • You can buy the Land registry form at all Land registry offices for 6250 HUF. 
      • Our rental agent uses Land Registration Office 1. Számú Földhivatal, 1111 Budapest, Budafoki út 59. (http://fovaros.foldhivatal.hu/content/view/113/193/)
        • Take Tram 4 to the Budafoki út/Szerémi sor stop on the Buda Side of the Petofi Bridge. Walk half a block to North to Budafoki út 59
        • Double check the opening hours before you go, they are not open late! (At the time we wrote this they were open: Monday -Thursday 0730-1500, Friday 0730 - 1100).
        • You can find the address of all the Land registry offices and official Request forms on the Land registry office’s official website http://en.foldhivatal.hu/
    • You will need the following information to fill out the official Request form:
      • Full Address of the flat (zip code, town, street, building, floor, door number)
      • Owner’s name
      • The TLN (HRSZ), topographical lot number (In Hungarian: helyrajzi szám)
      • You will also need your ID Card, passport, or Driver’s License 
    • Get a number ticket, when called pay the 6250 HUF at one window.  Hold onto your number ticket. When your number is called again go to a different window to get the ownership document. 
  • 1 copy of “certificate of property ownership
  • Passport (valid for at least 18 months at the time of application)
  • 1 copy of Passports information page (page with name, photo, expiration date, etc)
  • Proof of medical insurance that provides coverage during your stay in Hungary (original and photocopy)
  • Voluntary departure statement  (you will receive this to sign at the immigration office when you turn in the application)
  • 1 copy  of current residence permit card (Front and Back) if applying for a Residence Permit Extension.

Whew! That was alot of information…To help keep you on track here is our checklist...

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!

Good Luck!

Marc & Julia

© Eat, Drink, and Carry a GPS 2013